Need some help learning some Basic Yoga Poses Names?
Download the Free Printable “Basic Yoga
Poses Names” when you Subscribe.
A simple guide for you to thrive in your Yoga practice!
What happens to our body when you sit for many hours
Your metabolism can slow down 90 percent after 30 minutes of sitting!It is a lot! According to Gavin Bradley, director of Active Working, an international group aimed at reducing excessive sitting, along with slowing your metabolism, the enzymes that move the bad fat from your arteries to your muscles (where it can get burned off) also slow down. The muscles in your lower body are turned off. And after two hours, good cholesterol drops 20 percent.” Related: Best Yoga Gifts for women
Your hip flexors become too tightSitting for many hours, especially with poor posture, causes the glutes (butt muscles) to lengthen to compensate. According to Amy Schlinger in her article “The Workout You Need to Do If You Sit All Day” , when the glutes can’t do their job, other muscles in your body have to work harder, which ultimately can overwork them, leading to poor body alignment and aches. Tight hip flexors also make it harder for your pelvis to rotate properly—inhibited mobility in this area can cause compression and pain in the lower back. One single hip malfunction can lead to a chain of problems in the whole body.
Your shoulders and neck suffer an overload of tension when you sit all dayHow many times you have to lower your eyes to the screen, without even turning your neck from side to side for hours? And what happens to your body with all the huge change between the immobility of your lower body (torso, legs, hips, feet) and the repetitive movements of only a few other parts of your body (arms, fingers, elbows, shoulders, neck)?
That’s where Yoga can help if you sit all day at work.When you’re working in the computer, you’re not aware of how tension starts building up fast. If you’re not used to exercise regularly – to be more sensitive to your body’s complains- is easy to forget about the load of tension that your body is carrying. From there, the tension becomes temporary pain, occasional discomfort becomes chronic pain. The solution is to prevent this cycle and this is when Yoga can help if you sit all day in your computer. Related: Feng Shui your office and become more productive
Why Yoga can Help if you Sit all Day for WorkAlong with any other activities you might do, even if you have a regular fitness routine, you still need to take breaks during your sitting hours to stretch and engage your posture and muscles in a more holistic approach. Even if Yoga is your choice of physical activity, like it is for me, and Yoga has already shaped your body, taking breaks for stretches while you’re sitting all day can not be replaced.
- Yoga is a practice that always takes in consideration the whole body, every pose engages articulations, tissues and muscles in a holistic movement approach
- Yoga sharpens attention and concentration, and calms the nervous system centres
- Yoga also improves the mood, behaviour, and mindfulness
- Yoga is a mind and body practice, which includes meditation, deep breathing which will help to reduce stress and improve stress-related imbalance
- Yoga practice changes the firing patterns of the nerves and chemical mechanism of the body’s fluids and blood gases, that activate a relaxation response.
- According to Deborah Khoshaba Psy.D., in her article for Psychology Today: “By concentrating on maintaining a specific body posture and alignment of a pose and then holding it, as you breathe deeply, the body starts to shift from a state of biochemical arousal and tension to calm and relaxation.”
How Yoga Can Help if You Sit All DayThe best way to have an effective help from your Yoga practice is to follow a daily routine of small breaks during your working day. If you’re a total Yoga Beginner check out some information here on how to start. From there, plan the daily breaks in advance, it doesn’t take much. Watch videos or even follow them if you work in an environment that allows for this. Related:
- How Yoga can Shape your Body
- Pre Natal Yoga Benefits
- Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Hot Yoga and Weight Loss
- Morning Yoga Poses todo in Bed
- Meditation and the Art of Being in the Present
Simple Yoga Poses for People who Sit all Day
- Set a timer to take a break as frequently as you can, and use your desk and chair to do some modified Yoga poses.